It’s useful to know how to download music from YouTube, even though the service is primarily for video streaming. YouTube itself recognizes this, having launched YouTube Music in 2018; this service allows paid subscribers to download songs to their mobile devices.
By converting YouTube videos to MP3 format, you can download their audio tracks for offline listening, without accompanying visuals and ads. Just be aware that there are specific rules about what you can upload without breaking YouTube’s Terms of Service, so be sure to read our section below to learn more about that.
Other than paying for YouTube Music, there’s no official way to download music from YouTube, and Google has cracked down on so-called “stream rippers” which are designed to rip and save music from of YouTube videos.
Fortunately, there are a few workarounds for downloading music from YouTube, but we must point out that they should not be used to make copies of copyrighted audio content (again, see section below).
Here’s how to save copyright-free music from YouTube to listen to and reuse offline, both on your desktop and mobile device.
Is it legal to download music from YouTube?
As with downloading videos, YouTube’s Terms of Service state that you are not permitted to download audio content unless “specifically permitted by the service” or have prior written permission from YouTube or the holder of the respective rights.
You can download and play ad-free songs and playlists through the YouTube Music app for Android and iOS, but only if you subscribe to YouTube Music Premium for $9.99 per month. To prevent piracy and copyright infringement, this option is not offered on the YouTube Music website or in the free version of the service.
Although YouTube offers millions of tracks, from every artist you can think of, most of which have been uploaded by its users rather than record labels, it also offers plenty of royalty-free and copyright-free content. , as well as songs covered by a Creative Commons license. .
Another reason you might want to know how to download music from YouTube is to access music you have created and uploaded to YouTube previously, for example if you no longer have access to the music file. origin. Obviously, in this case, one of the methods below will be perfectly fine, without risking violating the conditions or breaking the law.
With the caveats above in mind, here’s how to download music from YouTube.
How to Download Music from YouTube to Desktop
Although there are many websites that allow you to convert YouTube videos to MP3 format, many either don’t work or contain dubious ads and malware-infected links.
For your safety and convenience, we recommend using the free and reliable 4K YouTube to MP3 desktop program, which extracts audio from YouTube videos with one click. Here’s how to use it.
1. Visit the 4K Download Site, click download at the top of the page, and choose “4K YouTube to MP3”. Click the Download button next to the version of the program you want to install: whether Windows (32-bit or 64-bit), macOS or Ubuntu.
2. Once 4K YouTube to MP3 is downloaded, run the installer to start the setup wizard and install the program on your computer.. Check the box “Launch 4K YouTube to MP3”, then click on the Finish button
3. When the program opens, it will show as “Inactive,” but don’t worry unless you want to buy a license to unlock premium features. It costs $15, but the free version of 4K YouTube to MP3 lets you download up to 30 audio tracks per day (but only one at a time), which should be enough for most people.
If you need unlimited downloadsand you want to download up to three tracks simultaneously, click on the Tools menu, choose “Manage license”, then click on “Get a license”.
4. Anyway, the next find a free video on YouTube and copy its URL.
You can either do it by copy the link from your browser’s address bar or by by clicking on the Share button under the video and by selecting “Copy” next to the URL.
5. Click the Paste Link button in the upper left corner of the 4K YouTube to MP3 window. The video goes be automatically converted to MP3 and start downloading immediately.
You should see a desktop notification when the download is complete.
6. Alternatively, you can search YouTube directly in 4K YouTube to MP3. Correct click the search button in the lower right corner of the window, then choose “YouTube”.
This will open YouTube in the program window. Find a video without copyright, then click the Download button to save it in MP3 format.
seven. You can play your converted MP3 directly to 4K YouTube to MP3 by double click on the track in the list of downloads.
To view the downloaded file so you can open and play it in another program, or move it to another location, click “Show in Folder”.
8. By default, 4K YouTube to MP3 converts and downloads audio from YouTube video at what it determines to be the “best quality” and, unsurprisingly, in MP3 format.
To change both quality and format, click on the Tools menu and choose PreferencesWhere click on the control panel icon in the upper right corner of the program and select Preferences there.
9. On the General tab from the Preferences window, you can change 4K YouTube to default MP3 sound quality at High (320 kbps), Medium (256 kbps) or Low (128 kbps).
You can also change the default audio format from MP3 to MP4 or OGGand change output folder where your converted files are uploaded.
How to Download Music from YouTube on Mobile
Google and Apple do not allow YouTube audio downloaders in their app stores. While there are tools available for the job, they require you to jailbreak your mobile device or allow installation of apps from “unknown sources”, and these workarounds pose stability and security risks. security.
Your best option is a website called YouTube to MP3 Converter, which works on both Android and iOS, as well as Windows and macOS. It doesn’t require registration or impose a daily download limit, and it’s completely free. Here’s how to use it.
1. Open a royalty-free video, Who you want to convert to MP3 format, in the YouTube mobile app for Android or iOS. Tap the Share button below and select “Copy link”.
2. Open YouTube to MP3 Downloader in your mobile (or desktop) browser. Tap the search field on the homepage and choose Pastethen press the Go button.
3. The website will load the selected video. Tap the drop-down menu and choose an audio format and quality: the best option is “mp3 320kbps”.
4. Press Convert and YouTube to MP3 Downloader will convert YouTube to MP3 format. You may need to close a full-screen pop-up ad to return to the page.
After the conversion is complete, tap Download to save the audio file to your devicewhere you can open and play it in your default media player.
Alternatively, you can create a QR code for MP3 that can be scanned to open on another phone, or save the file to Dropbox to save storage space.